Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hives anyone?

Whew….What a day. Yesterday was very trying, honestly, so was the past week. Colton broke out in hives all over his body, you could tell he was absolutely miserable. How do you keep a two year old from scratching? I’m not sure that it is even possible. I gave him benadryl but that didn’t keep him from scratching himself raw. I ended up taking him to the pediatrics urgent care on Saturday night. It was our first time going there and I absolutely loved it. That will be our ‘go to’ place for after-hours from now on. The waiting room was plain and simple and they had cartoons on tv to help entertain. They were really fast about getting us back and weighing Colt(28.4lbs) and then the doctor was there almost immediately. She said it was a food allergy since he wasn’t having any other symptoms with it. I was giving him ¼ tsp of benadryl because I didn’t know how much to give. She said I could give him ¾ tsp with his weight at 28lbs. Oops. They gave him a steroid shot, that was super fun!!! Not! She had him sit up and then I had to hug him and hold his hands so he couldn’t grab at her. She sat against us with his legs tucked between our legs and she was supposedly going to hold him there. Yeah Right!! Who was she kidding, this is a two year old who most of the time can overpower me. She had him to where he could see what she was doing. You never let a toddler or any child for that matter watch you give them a shot with a huge long needle. It freaked him out more than anything. I tried to shield his eyes but then she yelled at me to hold his hand. Okay she didn’t yell but that’s how I heard it. It wasn’t his hands she needed to be worried about though. He was kicking and straightening his legs and pushing so hard(he made himself toot! Ha!) I think that nurse needs a little more training on toddlers. Overall it was fine though. He got a sucker but then that one wasn’t the one he wanted and he threw a fit so I let him pick a different one. The first sucker that was already in his mouth is now still residing in the side pocket of my purse. We walked out to the waiting room to leave and he ran to the toys with his sucker in his mouth while I was digging out my keys. Then he looks down at his leg and sees the snoopy band-aid and starts saying ‘ouch’ and crying so I took the sucker out of his mouth and that just ticked him off so he started crying more. The entire car ride was him saying ouchie every couple minutes. I felt horrible and like I needed a really stiff drink so we went to McDonalds and I got him a happy meal and I settled for a small hazelnut latte. I don’t believe neither one of us were really satisfied.


Since then the hives have finally started to go away but what fun would that be? This house cant handle healthy residents so lets move on to allergies and colds. My poor child cant catch a break. He looks horrible. His face is covered in dry snot. I make him blow his nose and clean him off and two seconds later I turn around and he has a snail trail across his cheeks again.

You’d think with all the sickness he would be laying around watching cartoons. Instead he likes to tear things up. I walked in the living room yesterday to find that he pulled on my curtains until he ripped them from the wall and made a big hole. I was so mad! I have a huge front window that was now completely open for all my of my neighbors to look in. Luckily Jay was able to quick-fix it when he got home.

Colton has been pushing all my buttons lately. How do they know which ones are the right ones? He gets it right every single time. It must be a lesson taught in the womb.

He just grabbed and spilled my cup of coffee(it wasn’t hot) so I’m off to clean and weep in coffee.

Enjoy your day! :)

2 comments:

Mama Hen said...

Oh the poor little thing! Yes, some nurses are not so great with knowing what might scare a little one. My daughter had to get her finger pricked to do a blood test. It has always been very quick at each years check up. this year the lady said, "look at the magic trick" and had my daughter watch the blood come out and thought she would want to see it go in the tube. My daughter screamed and pulled her hand away and the lady could not get the blood. She ruined the opportunity. I held my poor baby girls hand and told the woman to do what she needed to do and she got flustered. So, we had to prick my daughter's other hand! Then the lady did noty have a new tube to catch the blood and she had to leave the room while the second hand was dripping and I was ready to scream along with my daughter. It did not have to be that way. Every other nurse has always done it in i minute. Ugh! I hope your son feels better. I came by to welcome you into the Nestwork! Come and comment each week! Bloglove! have a great night!

Mama Hen
www.mamaslittlechick.com
www.mamaslittlenestwork.com

K said...

Mama Hen-
Your poor baby girl! I cant even imagine. Luckily at his regular pedi we always have the same nurse. I look forward to visiting the nestwork!
Kristin

Post a Comment

Leave some love, but if you aren't signed in, please leave your name and a way to contact you if you want a response. Have a blessed day!